Sunday, September 20, 2015

Minimal-ish makeup collection.

Over the past year, my makeup collection has evolved. I've started to appreciate the finer things in the makeup world, and while I don't have 20 blush color options, the one blush that I do have is kickass.

I'm still trying to cull down my makeup collection to only "value add" items. If it doesn't significantly impact my skincare or makeup look, it doesn't get a spot on the A-team. Below, I'll talk more about what I'm definitely not replacing, what I will buy again in the same shade/brand, and item types I have but haven't found "the one" yet.

I say this is minimal-ish, because I feel like calling it minimalist isn't accurate since there are more than like, 3 products. However, compared to the overflowing bins, drawers, and kaboodles that I had as a high school girl, and that many women still do have, it's pretty pared down. Makeup is utilitarian to me, but it's also something I enjoy. While I don't need tons of options, I want the items I have to be really good.

Back left compartment: Urban Decay concealer; Too Faced foundation; Too Faced primer/moisturizer. I will repurchase the concealer - love it. The foundation is nice, but I'll try something else next time. I'm still unsure about whether the primer is worth it or not. I may not replace it and just use my night cream in a lighter layer for a day moisturizer.

Mid left compartment: 4 essie nailpolishes. Top fave is "Ballet Slippers" and "Good to Go" topcoat. Two not as important shades are "Find me an Oasis" and "Watermelon". Clinique face powder (yes); Tarte bronzer (yes); Tarte blush (yes, but will prob go back to Nars "Orgasm" blush next time....that stuff is too good). Keep in mind I've had all three of the aforementioned since end of 2014, and wear it daily. When you get good stuff, it really lasts.

Front left compartment: Anastasia brow pomade; Urban Decay eyeshadow; Nars eyeshadow; Origins night cream. When the pomade, eyeshadow and my eyeliner (next area) run out, I'll probably make a MAC eyeshadow quad with four colors that serve all those purposes, instead of having 3-4 separate products. The Origins night cream is soooooo good. Will definitely repurchase.

Middle small compartments: Real Techniques Bold Metals brushes; Loreal mascara; NYX eyeliner; Clinique nude lipstick; MAC "Ruby Woo" lipstick. The brushes are good, and are super durable. The mascara is okay, but I'll def try a new kind when that runs out. The eyeliner is going bye bye after I use it up (see above regarding MAC quad in the plans). I love having a nude and a bold lipstick option. The Clinique one is good, but I'll probably try something new next. The MAC "Ruby Woo" is bright red, and seriously worth every dime.


Back right compartment: My scent that I discovered on my trip to Vancouver/AK this past summer....L'eau d'Issey by Issey Miyake (read scent profile here - floral/ozonic/aquatic). I smelled it first with my mom while burning time in an airport duty free shop. It was love at first smell, but I didn't buy it. Then days later on the cruise ship, they had it in their duty free shop (for much cheaper). My aunt and cousin fell in love with it too there on the cruise ship. So we all three bought it, and the funny thing is - it smells a bit different on each person. I appreciate perfume so much - I'd gladly splash out for that above all else. Pun not intended.

Front right compartment: Lip balm, and watch/rings. The poodle is a ring holder, but you can barely see my rings hanging from the tail from this angle.


No comments:

Post a Comment