Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Back from Alaska/Vancouver, BC

I've been back from my vacation for a couple of weeks now. I came away from vacation feeling refreshed, and best of all, feeling like I learned some new things and gained some perspective....


5 things I learned:
1. I read "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo on the flights. It really was a life-changing read, and I immediately implemented some of her methods. I may write about these in a separate post.

2. I love Canada....but it also made me appreciate the "American Spirit"/masculine confidence of the US. For example...on the buses in Vancouver, if a route is closed, the bus will display giant word "Sorry..." scrolling across the display. Very courteous and sensitive. In the US, we'd just be like, "hey, the bus is closed. no apologies here." I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but it made me feel a sense of endearment for the US.

3. The moment I stepped off the plane in Vancouver, I knew I wanted to live there. Spending time amongst the mountains in Alaska made me realize I'm more of a "mountain person" than a "beach person", which is the complete opposite of what I thought I knew about myself....

4. Being in "vacation mode" helped me reset my natural inclinations....it helped me learn to live in the present and enjoy life for what it is, and not worry as much about efficiency....

5. Taking time for yourself, even when you're a mom and a wife, is of the utmost importance for your health. A life change I made, actually starting on my vacation, was running EVERY SINGLE DAY, religiously. I've carried that over, and have been doing this for the past two weeks. No matter what, I find a way to run. I've already noticed changes in my body and my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment