Friday, April 3, 2015

How I fit in excercise at work without having a gym.

Climbing 10+ flights of stairs 3X a day, every work day! All you corporate, skyscraper-dwelling folk like me have some free exercise equipment built into your workspace! I calculated how many extra calories I burn every day doing this....it's approximately 150-200, from what I found. That aint bad....you can't get much more than that doing 20 minutes on the elliptical machine at a gym.

Welcome to my at-work gym!

 This is not earth-shattering....but it has actually really helped me get back into the habbit of exercising. We don't have a gym where we work, and taking a break to go for a walk or run (in usually hot and humid weather) is not feasible, since I can't come back to work looking a sweaty hot mess. I will say that climbing this many stairs doesn't make me sweat to the point that I'd feel self conscious going to a meeting straight away, but I do have to linger for a minute or so to catch my breath and get my heart rate back down after I get to the top, before I go in.....this way, I'm not breathing heavily, and making people worried that I'm ill.

I wear heels every day to work, but I bring my flats to put on just for my breaks. It takes me 5 minutes or so to do one set, so that's not too difficult to step away from my desk to do this 3 times a day. I was inspired to do this when I started reading all these articles about the sedentary lifestyle, and how sitting at your desk in your office job for 8 hours a day is the devil for your health, even if you exercise every day outside of work. Google it, and you may be inspired to take a stair climb break too!


No comments:

Post a Comment