Saturday, March 14, 2015

Taking care of yourself on a budget.

Let's talk about my tried-and-true drugstore makeup/skincare/hair items, that I recommend to anyone....

2015 is the year of getting my finances in order. Therefore, fitting things into the budget is a top priority. While I do still enjoy some high-end items where I feel it's worth it, I have been searching for and trying drugstore items more and more when it comes to makeup, skin care, shampoo, etc. I've grown accustomed to researching reviews on Youtube and elsewhere before buying, and even then, I've had a bit of trial and error happen with drugstore items. There are so many choices, and it's really a hit or miss.

Here are my "GOOD ENOUGH TO REPURCHASE" items for those of you who are on a budget, or just don't want to splash out the extra cash for these types of items...


Skincare: I'm a Burts Bees convert with skin care. I've tried and liked many of their products, but the ones I mention here are the winners for me. It's a bit pricey for something you buy at the grocery store, but it is much cheaper than Sephora, or department store high-end brands.
  1. Burts Bees "Radiance" Facial Cleanser with Royal Jelly - This is my favorite BB's cleanser. I use this at night before bed.
  2. Burts Bees "Radiance" Day Lotion with Royal Jelly - This really is perfect to put on just before you apply makeup. It makes your skin look healthier, and actually makes your makeup look smoother.
  3. Burts Bees Hydrating Night Cream - If I could have one skin care product, this would be it. This night cream has drastically changed the state of my skin, and it is so rich. Screw $400 La Mer night cream....this stuff will do.
  4. Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque - I use this a couple of times a week, and it really works well! When it dries onto your face, it sucks the impurities out of your skin. Powerful green stuff. And only costs couple of bucks.
 Makeup: There are a few makeup items that I truly feel that high end is well worth it (blush, bronzer, eyeshadow, namely). However, a couple of these I've been using for years, and the lip crayon and eyeliner are the clear winners so far of a long trial of various drugstore products.
  1. NYX waterproof eyeliner in "Brown" - This is easy to apply and stays on all day. Doesn't drag or skip like most drugstore eyeliners. Best part is it's only $2 or so.
  2. Sonia Kashuk matte lip crayon in "Coraly Nude" - This is only sold at Target or online, I believe. I've tried many many many different lip products, and I've experimented with lots of different colors. I've learned that coral is the shade that flatters me the most, and I like that this particular shade is a bit more subdued and office-appropriate. I like a fuss-free lip product that isn't sticky and stays on for a long time. This product is awesome. Can stand with or without chapstick on top.
  3. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles in "Brightener" - THIS IS THE MOTHER OF ALL UNDER EYE CONCEALER. Hyped up highly online in the beauty blogger community, and rightfully so. I've been using this for about 2 years.
  4. Loreal True Match Foundation in "Soft Ivory" - This is great coverage while still looking natural, and most importantly, it doesn't make my sensitive skin break out. I've repurchased this, and will likely continue to do so.
Hair: My hair is pretty low maintenance. Two of these I've been using for years and years, and the shampoo/conditioner is a more recent discovery.
  1.  Suave Dry Shampoo - This stuff is cheap and powerful. Works better than other drugstore brands I've tried.
  2. Tresemme Hairspray in level 4 - I've been using this since high school, I think. Every now and then I'll try another type, but I always regret it and come back to this.
  3. OGX (Organix) Macadamia Oil Shampoo/Conditioner - This is sulfate free, and for some reason, I've never had a shampoo and conditioner give me as many "good hair days" as these. They smell delectable as well. This was a recommendation from a Youtuber I like to watch. I've been using different shampoos and never repurchasing the same type since I was really young, but I am sticking with these!

No comments:

Post a Comment