Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The problem with having few clothes....

I've really enjoyed the benefits that having a minimal wardrobe has brought into my life, but there is a quite large side effect that I've had to face a lot more frequently now than I ever have in the past...

The problem with having few clothes is that THEY FALL APART, get damaged, get worn out, etc. very quickly. I always thought of clothes as an investment, but lately so many of the clothes I have are not making it the length of time I expect them to. Recently with my heels, and now with two pairs of pants....

I have two pairs of pants I got from Nordstrom back in late November: brown skinny trousers and grey slacks. While I've only had them for a couple of months, they have become so baggy that they no longer stay up (and no, sadly it's not because I've lost weight). The seams have also become very scratchy as the fabric has worn. When I buy something a bit nicer, I expect it to be high enough quality to get good wear out of it....but I'm starting to lose hope that that is even the case. Nordstrom is kind enough to allow a return of these (which is one of the reasons I love Nordstrom - they stand behind their stuff).

Meanwhile, the pair of black slacks I bought from Gap 6 years ago is still going pretty strong...though the hem is starting to come undone. I'll probably sew that up on my own.

Lately I've been wanting to explore more sustainable choices in my clothing purchases, such as second-hand or "ethically" sourced. Perhaps those items will bring better luck with longevity, whether more care goes into making them or they've already stood the test of time. If you have any sources for second-hand or sustainable/ethically sourced clothing, please send me links in the comments section. I'm open minded to it, for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I'm very happy with the merino wool clothing I got from IceBreaker. Since it's wool, it doesn't need to be washed as often and it's best if you hand wash it. Although it's an extra step, it really prolongs the life of clothes.

    On a different note, I'm starting to get into sewing and hope that by having more control over what I'm wearing I will be able to make it last longer or repair it more easily. I'm currently working out how to recreate my favorite shirt since it is becoming threadbare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning to sew is a great idea - I need to do this as well. I'll take a look at IceBreaker, thanks for the recommendation. The hard thing for me is 80% of my clothing need is for business casual, but I'm all on board for more active wear that can function as/look like business casual!

    ReplyDelete