Sunday, January 18, 2015

RIP color. How I'm attempting to work through boredom.

After several weeks of attempting to wear my more formal navy business suit in with my weekly wear, I've realized that it's too much a pain in the ass to try to iron it out after I wash and air dry it (yes, I don't dryclean). I am putting it in a box to bust out only on very special occasions. In the meantime, that has left my already neutral wardrobe looking pretty much without a trace of color....

Today was one of those days that was psychologically challenging in two ways: 1. I realized I'm starting to get bored of (and slightly depressed with) my persistent lack of color and 2. I have been fighting the urge to "break" the budget and just buy a couple of brightly colored items to rotate into my work wardrobe, like these....


By now, I know myself well enough to get that I'd much rather save my cash up to use on my trip instead of buy colorful clothes on a whim, so here's how I'm getting through boredom and slightly morose feelings about the overwhelming amount of grey and black that currently comprises my wardrobe...
  • Bringing out ALL the colored jewelry I own and wearing a ton of it. Thankfully I do have a few brightly colored jewelry items to wear, so that should do the trick quite nicely. A bright turquoise bracelet, a green necklace and earring set my husband got me as a first anniversary gift when we were dating, and some hot pink drop earrings.
  • Wear my purple scarf....the lone colorful clothing item I have!
  • Bold pink lips, and bolder eyeshadow, tons of eyeliner, etc. I'm hoping making my makeup a bit more dramatic will help give my neutral outfits the boost they (or I) need.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Donna, I admire the way you have been "sublimating" your desires to buy new clothes, such as coming up with new combinations, looking again at older clothes (your navy suit), making your own (cowl scarf)... and here you are focusing on accessories and makeup to brighten up your look. Great techniques to avoid boredom with your wardrobe! Best wishes, Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! The struggle is real sometimes....but worth it :)

      Delete
  2. I can totally relate to this! I've also turned to scarves and make up to make up (whoops!) for the lack of color in my smaller wardrobe. I think scarves are the key to making this kind of wardrobe work longterm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accessories are great, because they don't take up as much physical space, but can inject new life into tired clothes. What kind of make up do you try when you start to feel the boredom coming on?

      Delete