Saturday, January 3, 2015

An inexpensive, easy hobby for accessory lovers...

I never thought I'd say this...but....I have taken up crochet as of today. Rome wasn't built in a day, but I certainly learned how to crochet from Youtube and completed my first project all today. I'm really happy with it. I've always loved the chunky knit scarf/cowl look, and ever since my H&M (cheap) one got a overly frazzled with wear, I've been missing that from my wardrobe. It was fun to create my own!
Camel-colored crochet circle scarf/cowl I made today.
Materials were pretty cheap....I really only needed one bundle of yarn ($4). The crochet hook was $2 and the weaving needles were $1. I chose a 9 mm metal hook, since I'm more interested in creating "chunky" items with thicker yarn. It was so much fun to pick out yarn. There are so many different colors, textures, materials, etc. to choose from...
Materials needed.
As far as the actual learning process went, I used YouTube videos exclusively to learn how to do this. It took me quite a while to catch on, and honestly, there wasn't one single video that really did the trick for me...I had to use several different ones for different reasons. It was a lot of trial and error...The good thing about crochet is that you can unravel the entire thing easily, and start over without wasting materials. You're only using one hook (unlike knitting, which involves two hooks), so it's a simple process once you get it down. It was difficult in the beginning.....but the learning curve is not that steep. You really just have to dive in and work with your hands before you eventually get there. If you get frustrated and want to toss your ball of yarn out the window, just take a break and pick it up again a bit later (which I had to do today).
My very first crochet chain.
Like I said, I'm really happy with the cowl I created today, but I think that next I would like to tackle a super chunky knit circle scarf. The yarn I got for today's cowl is medium/standard "thickness", because I heard that you should do that for your first one while you are learning the process. However, moving forward I will be using the "chunky" yarn. And they sell some really really chunky yarn....I'm excited about that.

4 comments:

  1. That's a really lovely color you chose. Nice work on the cowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I've been wanting to learn for years. After seeing this, I may finally try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great hobby to take up, because it really doesn't take a lot to get started. Hopefully you enjoy it if you end up trying it out!

      Delete