Thursday, September 18, 2014

My business trip: what I packed, wore, ate, learned, etc.

I think it's nice to travel every once in awhile for business, but it's definitely not glamorous - in fact, it's very exhausting in reality. You lose a lot of "personal" free time when you travel, because you're either working or in transport to/from your destination. With little kids at home, I do feel lucky to have a job where I don't need to travel often. However, it was actually really nice to see some colleagues in person. I got to meet some for the first time f2f and get to know more on a personal level, which just can't be done quite as well over the phone.

Organization and packing light....pictures below.

  • I took a half-size carry on for all my belongings, and the only small personal items needed in addition were my purse and of course a coffee.
  • Packing is so much more efficient/organized when it's done "compartmentalized". I did that by placing all my undies/bras/pjs rolled up in a separate bag, my dry makeup, jewelry, brushes, etc. in a medium-sized floral bag, and finally my liquid items in a transparent quart-sized bag for the TSA's benefit....
  • Rolling clothes up is the way that works best for me to maximize space. With that being said, I realized that a crisp button-up shirt would be a disaster rolled up in my suitcase, so I took a grey comfy shirt instead (that doesn't require ironing). I wore my suit jacket on the plane and every day to work, so it was never crumpled up in my suitcase.
Pictured are the "compartment" bags I took, as well as the entirety of my belongings I took on my travels...it was so nice to pack light, especially whilst watching others struggle with huge suitcases and multiple bags. Pobrecitas!

Here are a couple of my outfits for work...you'll notice they are slightly different than what I initially planned, but it worked really well for comfort and being wrinkle free! I also opted to bring one of my bold-colored necklaces instead of my gold one, just to stand out a bit in the group. You can't tell cause this pic is b/w...obviously.

 What I ate and what I learned....pics below.

When I travel, eating is absolutely the highlight and central feature of my life. The goal is to either be eating, be hungry so that you can eat, or get hungry. I think eating can make business travel a bit more bearable, and dare I say, a bit more fun!

Some new things I tried:
  • Amazing upscale Indian restaurant that was just a walk away from our hotel - I found it on my Yelp app, so my coworker and I walked over and we both agreed it was one of the best meals we've ever had. I had mustard seed and coconut curry chicken, tandoori shrimp, and crab masala on naan.
  • Shrimp and grits. It had sausage in it as well, and since the particular restaurant was very fancy, I had to at least try to eat the sausage (I hate sausage). I had a few pieces, but ended up eating around the rest of them. Then a co-worker called me out on it, and I felt like I was 5 years old....
  • BANGKOK PEANUT ICE CREAM - SPICY. The best ice cream I've ever had, no lie. It makes me want to put chili powder on all my ice cream from this moment forward.
Some new things I learned:
  •  The Four Seasons is a great place to stay. It was my first time to stay at a Four Seasons hotel, and it definitely lived up to the hype. I learned that they put a $400 ADDITIONAL charge on your card (without telling you - surprise!) in case you incur incidentals (spa, room service, getting your shoes shined). No worries, any amount not used gets refunded after check-out.
  • I need to buy a iPhone charging stick to keep in my bag for travel next time.
  • Going to a new place and being around different people and cultures is refreshing in the sense that it gives you an opportunity to evaluate yourself and your own life. I actually came back feeling a bit inspired....being pulled out of my daily grind is a good thing from time to time.
1. The city 2. My hotel room 3. My hotel 4. DELECTABLE INDIAN FOOD

No comments:

Post a Comment