Thursday, August 14, 2014

Fall/winter project 333 capsule wardrobe - for a business casual mom!

I have been utilizing a pared-down capsule wardrobe, inspired by project 333, for a few weeks now...but I have already planned my fall/winter capsule wardrobe (which will work for September through March).

Here are some things of note about me that influence my choice of clothing...
  1. I live in a humid/hot climate, that does get moderate seasons and evening showers from time to time.
  2. I work full time for a large corporation, so the attire at my office is business casual. I do work from home one day a week, and I also get to wear jeans on Fridays.
  3. I am a mom of a toddler and a preschooler...my clothes have to be durable and withstand lots of stains and washing....and I have to be able to lift and run in my clothes if needed.

If you read my first post about my project 333 wardrobe, you'll notice there are a few things missing, and also a few things added. Here are some things that I've learned in dressing with less, which have led to these removals and additions:
  • When you buy crappy stuff and wear it all the time, it wears out quickly! For example, the finish on my previous cheap sunglasses started flaking off slowly, so I bough another cheap pair (I can't buy expensive sunglasses because my kids like to reach for them way too much). Hopefully this pair will last me through the winter.
  • If a piece of clothing doesn't fit correctly, I won't end up wearing it. I had to ditch my blue dress because the shoulders were too baggy and it was slightly too short for my liking. I hadn't worn it in months, and figured I wouldn't any time soon.
  • A pair of black pumps may seem essential to a working wardrobe, but they aren't as essential as I thought they were. My pair of black pumps started to fall apart way too soon, and those were quite expensive shoes I bought from Nordstrom recently, so I returned them. I've been doing fine without them, so no need to replace for now.
  • I need to admit to myself that costume jewelry makes me feel gaudy. After wearing my bold jewelry nonstop, I've become so sick of it...so I'll put it back in my jewelry storage. I've gone back to my really nice, high quality pieces that are dainty...some diamond stud earrings that I got in St. Martin, and my birthstone necklace that I've had for years instead of my huge kendra scott stuff.
  • I was lacking a few things that I'm glad to have been able to find to last me through fall, winter, and some year round!
    • Winter coat - I got this from London Fog. They have such high quality items, and I needed a coat that was pretty warm, but also water resistant. AND, I did not want it to look like a ski jacket. I lucked out on this one. I will get a lot of use of it this year, and then again next summer when I travel to Alaska.
    • Neutral printed blouse - Third row in the middle. This is something I wished I had like, every other day when I've been getting dressed for work with my pared down wardrobe. And I have to say, I will probably wear this one at least twice a week for the foreseeable future.
    • Dark grey sweater/cardigan - With a black suit jacket and mustard yellow cardigan, I felt like I truly could use another "topper" like this...especially since I have a sleeveless dress and blouse that I wear frequently to the office.
And there you have it! This is stuff you'll see me in for the next 6 months. I have to say it's been so much easier doing laundry and just getting ready each morning when I have a limited but perfect to my taste collection of clothing to choose from. Paring down my wardrobe has definitely made a huge impact on simplifying my life.

6 comments:

  1. I don't include jewelry or accessories (other than shoes) in my count, but otherwise, our looks overlap a good bit. I've noticed that, even without the restriction, I barely change my jewelry any more. I wear a fitness tracker on a watch band, diamond studs, my wedding jewelry, and a dainty necklace that I change once every couple months. Sometimes I swap the studs for small gold hoops.

    Streamlining the closet makes it easier to streamline other things. I found quickly through Project 333 that I can't really include heels unless they are VERY comfortable and I have a solid set of flat options for most days at work. I've decided to essentially cut that out and treat heels like an accessory - even when I need to wear them (say, to a formal event like wedding or a court appearance), it's usually only for part of the day. I can't do a full day of anything over 2 anymore, nor do I want to. And having a restricted set of shoes to choose from means that I need to have things that make my feet feel good. Birks, Danskos, and higher-quality all-leather ballet flats make the cut these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Glad it's working out well for you also. What brand of leather ballet flats do you recommend? Mine are some Steve Madden flats that will probably only last a couple of seasons (I wear these out!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! Just popping over from the blog tour posted on Project333. What you said about having to admit that if something didn't fit right you weren't going to wear it- did you find that this challenge gave you the excuse you needed to finally get rid of stuff like that? I cannot believe how many ill fitting items I was keeping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, it was nice to think logically instead of just hanging onto something that didn't fit, just because I thought I used to like the item at one point.

      Delete
  4. Love it! Can you tell me what you use to make your 'board' so that I can do the same?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - thanks! I use PowerPoint.

      Delete