Friday, July 25, 2014

My experience with giving up artificial sweeteners....

I've been artificial sweetener free for 1 month. The biggest contributor was diet sodas, so ahem, ASPARTAME. Week over week, I have felt varying degrees of difference in the way I feel since giving up consumption of artificial sweeteners. It could be a fluke, but with how much diet soda I was consuming and it having been a LONG time since I've felt this way (I mean, years), along with the correlation of my quitting the large amount of diet soda and then feeling such improvement in such a short time frame, I am deducting that there could be some relationship there.

When I say "the way I feel", what do I mean? I actually don't mean physically feeling better, like I anticipated. I mean mentally feeling better. At first it was my mood that drastically improved. It had been at least a couple years since I've felt so stable minded and not quite as melancholy. Another huge change that I've only recently noticed in the last week is clearer thought processes (which is probably not apparent in my typing today, lol). I feel smarter. I feel I posses a sharper understanding of the big picture and of how things matter...or maybe I just care more. Either way, I've read so many articles about how artificial sweeteners (especially aspartame) affect cognitive ability in a negative way. My anecdotal evidence is making me believe that there may be some truth to that, at least for myself.

But sometimes....I really just want to drink a diet coke with vanilla from sonic.

No comments:

Post a Comment